Belvoir Bites – Pot Roasted Pheasant with Porcini Mushroom
Jorge Artisan Foods Recipe of the Month
Looking for a delicious meal to cook up a storm during the festive season? With pheasant season truly upon us, the Engine Yard’s Jorge Artisan Foods has come up with a truly mouth-watering dish.
– 2 x 800g pheasants
– 10 slices prosciutto from Jorge Deli counter
– 15g dried Porcini mushrooms from Jorge, soaked in 100ml boiling water
– 2 tbsp Jorge Everyday Olive Oil
– Small handful of bay leaves and fresh thyme
– 30g unsalted butter
– 7 or 8 juniper berries
– 200ml fino sherry
– 12 small shallots
– 1 tbsp plain flour
– 350g purple seedless grapes
– 500ml good chicken stock
– 150ml double cream
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/160 Fan, strain the porcini once soft and retain the stock.
2. Season the pheasants and then wrap each with Prosciutto slices so they overlap each other and
then tie with string to keep in place.
3. Heat a frying pan and one at a time brown both pheasants all over and then remove and slide the
bay and some of the thyme into the cavities and into a lidded casserole dish.
4. In the same fryin pan, but with the heat turned down, add the butter and then the juniper, thyme
and shallots, season and cook until the shallots are browned all over, then add the flour to the pan
and cook for another minute, stirring in the flour.
5. Next, turn the heat back up to full, add the sherry, scraping the juicy bits from the bottom, and cook
for a few mins until the alcohol has evaporated, then add stock, the mushroom water and bring to
the boil. Simmer for 10 mins until reduced then pour over the pheasants.
6. Cover the casserole dish and roast in the pre heated oven for 20 minutes, then remove the cover and
cook for a further 15 minutes or so. Then lift out the pheasants and leave under foil to rest.
7. Add the grapes, porcini and cream to the casserole dish and boil gently 10-15 minutes.
8. Serve poured over the reserved and carved pheasant.